September 28, 2011

Stepping through our week – Day Five Battlefields and Lochs

Everyone knows about some of the places we went today – they are some of Scotland’s best known, but we also did a little “hidden” Scotland too.  We started our day by visiting Urquhart Castle (and later we learned a tune that related to it). 
After that old history, we went to Colloden for more recent, but often misunderstood history.  Colloden has an incredible visitor center (during which I was too busy learning to remember to take photos to share with you!).

From those two history packed treats, we meandered through quaint and beautiful areas and saw more about local people and the way of life in Scotland today and long ago.  The intrepid David made requested photo stops as the scenery begged for pictures!
 
And those photos really help us to remember the fantastic color of the heather in bloom!
We returned to the Dowans to refresh tunes  and get ready for the next day's adventures!

1 comment:

Michelle said...

I have a poster-sized photo of Urquhart Castle hanging in my dining room. I took it in 1988, and I still smile every time I look at it! Thanks for a happy reminder, Jen.