October 11, 2017

Holiday Prep is in the Bag!



Many of you have asked me what I carry in my gig bag – especially since you've never seen it.

You've never seen it because it doesn’t exist!  It's not that I don't prepare to go - it's that I have a minimal bag and I keep everything in the pocket of my case.  


But, let’s think about what you should carry – even if your gig is playing for your cat.  It bears thinking about where you are playing, what the event is, and your level of comfort. I do have a small gig bag because I don’t typically take a lot of things many other people consider essential.

I have all my music in my head so I don’t carry a binder of music or an ipad – just a sheet of paper with a list of tunes (and sometimes lever settings, if I’m feeling less confident).  I also carry:

  • Strings
  • Tuner (electronic and fork)
  • Tuning key
  • Event Contract/information
  • Amp+cables (if needed – see event and venue above).

Others are more comfortable knowing that they have everything they need, no matter the circumstance.  One of my closest friends has a tool bag - it’s the size of a roll aboard suitcase!  But it has everything she needs.  She plays a very different repertoire and has had a lot of experience (which is code for bad stuff happening).  So her bag includes all of those things as well as:

  • Back up tuner
  • Batteries (for tuner)
  • Stand lamp
  • Backup stand lamp
  • Music binder
  • Backup music binder
  • Clothes pins (for windy days)
  • Headband, barrettes, hair elastics (also for windy days)
  • Extension cord
  • Multi-plug surge protector
  • Make up
  • Folding music stand (back up to the Manhassett which doesn't fit into the bag)
  • Tuning key
  • Spare tuning key
  • Umbrella
  • Tarp
  • Note pad
 And we both also bring:
  • Business Cards
  • Snacks
  • Water Bottle
  • Shoes (it's sometimes challenging to haul your harp in shoes that are appropriate for the event)

We each look at the other’s gig bag and laugh.  But our solutions work.  Hopefully they give you a good start on deciding what you should carry in yours for the Holiday Season…something that helps you feel settled and ready for each time you play.

No comments: