January 12, 2011

It's like GOLF

I love to play golf.  I enjoy just about everything about it - the fine day, the beautiful fairways, the immaculate greens, the twee little flags, the ponds (I just don't think they are deep enough to be hazards, at least where I play), the sandboxes (again, where I play the sand is not confined like it is in the bunkers on the Old Course at St. Andrews - so I think of them as sandboxes)... and I enjoy taking a relaxed walk with a few good friends through all this wonder. 

It is actually amazing that I love to play golf because I am so bad at it - AND I NEVER GET ANY BETTER...however, you will not hear me complain about my lack of progress - because I know what is required to become a better golfer and I am unwilling to do it.  I have CHOSEN not to become a better golfer. 

Now, playing the harp, well that's another matter entirely.  I do want to continue to get better at it, and I work diligently to do so.  I CHOOSE to put in the work and the time and the planning and the practice.

As I said before, I do not accept the myth that some people are more talented and therefore get a free pass to greatness.  I know that the brilliant performer, the superb workshop instructor, the blindingly outstanding composer all worked hard - and they have honed their craft.    And to be like them you have to have T-I-T-S -- Time In The Seat - that time is required to build your capability.

To get really good at playing the harp, you will have to push yourself.  And really, you have to do this for yourself - no one else will do it for you.  That's right, all that stands between you and brilliance, is you. 

Give yourself a hand - you're going to need it!

No comments: